Top 5 Omurice in Kyoto

, , No Comments

Omurice (オムライス) or omelette rice, is one of the common dishes available in Japan, with a wide price range for the frugal to the rich. Classified as a western dish (洋食), each plate is made to order with many variations to boast, be it the way the egg is prepared or the desired flavour of the rice.



The classic version is rice stir-fried with chicken chucks and onions cooked with ketchup/tomato sauce, wrapped in a creamy concoction of beaten eggs on melted butter.

After staying in Japan for 5 months, with at least 1 month's worth of time dedicated to researching all the omurice Kyoto has to offer, I daresay I have compiled the top 5. While I 'm not a particularly picky eater, there are a few things I look out for when evaluating my omurices, in descending order:

  1. Taste - texture of egg and flavour of rice
  2. Value for money $$
  3. Variety
  4. Customisability - choice of sauces & flavour of rice
  5. Accessibility - from main roads
  6. Presentation 

With that, let's get the dishes rolling...


#5 喫茶軽食アミッチ // Amicchi


Featured dish: Demi-glace Omurice (デミグラスソースオムライス)
Price: ¥ 630


A tip for travellers: food outlets in the immediate vicinity of a school - in this case Amicchi is ~300m away from Ritsumeikan University (立命館大学) - are your go-to if budget is tight but you still crave for a taste of locality.

This place also serves other western dishes like hamburg and spaghetti, but I've always stuck to their 1 and only omurice option. For someone who doesn't like demi-glace sauce (like myself), this place poses an exception. The meat slices is extremely satisfying, just like its portion. The egg is done in the scrambled egg style, though more under cooked, where it's poured over the rice - very moist and just right up my alley.

However, the complementary soup is a disaster, so just stick to the food and all's fine.

Oh, and be ready to smell like a seasoned chainsmoker upon exit o//



Who knew this shady looking store that looks like it's closed down actually serves such satisfying omurice, and at a steal!




Opening hours: 11:30 - 17:30


#4 喫茶軽食ひとみ // Hitomi



Featured dish: オムラピラフ (Omelette Pilaf)
Price: ¥ 740

Located in the quiet residential neighbourhood next to Ritsumeikan University, the school I did my exchange at, I can only conclude it's destiny. This place is the equivalent of Buzzfeed's Worth It series, topping the entire list with its extreme value-for-money (VERY generous portion) and service.

In Japan, service (サービス) has two meanings: 
1) The traditional customer service
2) On the house (they will say, kore ha saabisu desu)

And boy do they deliver both! The boss is za best, especially if he knows you're a student, and an Exchange Student on that. On almost every occasion, I'll surely be treated to a free glass of drink, and I could choose any drink on the menu! Plus, there is a wide selection of great manga, like Monster (モンスター), Uchuu Kyoudai (宇宙兄弟), and of course, my favourite Naruto (ナルト).

One thing to note, this place is a smoking establishment, and seems to be a resident hangout for the bad boys of Ritsumei, heh. I've brought a Japanese girl friend here and she didn't even knew this store exist (like how could she-)


Homely storefront




Opening hours: 10:30 - 19:30 (L.O.: 19:00)
Close: every Sunday


#3 桜梅桃李 // Obaitori


Featured dish: Mentaiko Omurice (明太子ソース·巻きタイプ)
Price: ¥ 800

Warning: Story time

Oh this place has a bittersweet memory... It was the day I was supposed to go out on a movie date with my crush - my walking dream in the form of a very cute Japanese guy, who only wears black cause he thinks it's embarrassing to be seen in other colours (T.T save me...) Anyway, 20 minutes passed the rendezvous time the seasoned romance reader in me knew.

I'm screwed - he stood me up. Via text.

& of course he already has a GF, and neglected to tell me so until the day itself, and pulled a lam3 "English supplementary class" card on me. Was it too hard to show up and explain f2f? Probably so for a 19 y-o. 

Just like that, I suddenly found myself with a very free schedule. After telling my friends about my supposed "date," I did not feel like heading back to dorm either. Distraught and fraught with disbelief, I began wandering down this straight path, away from school and humiliation.

Then... I stumbled upon my other love in Japan, omurice

(Fun fact: if you type "omurice," it'll autocorrect to amorous; it's a sign)

Well on hindsight it was a good memory, at least something happened, at least my heart fluttered for somebody, because after that incident there was NIL.

So sorry, but back to food!

So this mentaiko (salted pollock roe) is supposedly popular among the ladies, so naturally I gravitated to that to test its legitimacy... & not bad! Well-balanced between creamy and saltiness.


Blown up menu outside the store - don't you love customisation?


This store is just by the corner of a T-junction, but buried among the residential area so do keep a close-eye on the map



Opening hours: 11:00 - 20:00
Close: every Tuesdays


#2 たまごキッチン モレット // Mollette


Featured dish: Puchi King Omurice (プチクッキンッグオムライス)
Price: ¥ 1188

This is the last type of omurice that I was the most excited to try, but really hard to come by. The mango shaped egg (above photo) contains some half-cooked eggs ready to explode. The most famous place for this style of omurice - Kichi Kichi Omurice, requires too much effort on my part to try (reservation puts U on a 1 month waiting list), and there have been many presses on it too.

From the start, the point of this post is to introduce not so well-known yet delicious omurices, and this place is an alternative for those who still want to try this Slice-It-Yourself Omurice.


It was harder than it looked, slicing the egg... But look at the moist half-done eggs and the beautiful red of the rice


Finishing touch: dressing with seafood pasta sauce (octopus, cockles, prawn, oyster, and broccoli)


1 page of the extensive menu... By far with the most variety not commonly found elsewhere - from traditional Japanese set meal style (定食), curry (カレー) to paella style... Definitely coming back!


Located among the atas (high class) rank, appropriately on the 11th floor of JR Kyoto Isetan





Opening hours: 11:00 - 22:00
Close: no off days


#1 おむらはうす // Omura House


Featured + Recommended dish #1: Green Salad Omurice (緑のサラダオムライス)
Price: ¥ 961 (tax included)

Exclusive to Kinkakuji Branch; comes with a choice of grated ginger soy sauce or wasabi

For first timers of omurice, this is my recommendation.
Word of caution: extremely big portion! For my lady diners, do request for less rice (gohan sukuname de)


Inside the amazegg: onions and mushrooms pieces (flavours of rice varies with type of omurice ordered)

The combination of cold tofu and hot rice, crunchy salad and fluffy rice is simply omugod


Featured dish #2: Yuba Omurice (とろ湯葉オムライス)
Price: ¥ 1134 (tax included)

Yuba is beancurd prepared in thin silky slices (one of the more expensive forms of tofu), topped with seaweed shreds soaked in dashi sauce. Expensive tasting, though not my favourite (I prefer thicker sauces for my omurice)


Featured dish #3: Oyako Omurice (親子オムライス)
Price: ¥ 1134 (tax included)

This rice has salmon pieces mixed with mushroom and onions - a bit too fishy, I'll stick to chicken


Featured dish #4: Tamagoyaki and Potato Salad (玉子焼とポテトとのサラダ)
Price: ¥ 734 (tax included)

Very refreshing and satisfying, highly recommended


Side dish (part of 2人deセット): Squash Soup (カボチャスープ)

If you're with a buddy N both of you are ravished, why not try the 2 Person Set (2人deセット) that includes 2 omurice (anything on the menu, so go for the most ex one!), 1 potato salad, and choice of 2 drinks or soup


Each time you go, you get a card. The moment you hit 10, you get the next plate free (Chicken Omurice). I've honestly tried my best, even rallied some friends to help, but alas I faltered at the 7th plate... It's a sign that my business with Kyoto ain't over yet...


Storefront along Hontsuji Road (本辻通り), a 7 minute walk to Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Pavilion)



Opening hours: 11:00 - 15:30
Close: every Monday



Since I have so many plates of omurice in my inventory, I decided to dish out some Honourable Mentions that are worth considering. They are here because they didn't fulfil 2 or more of my criteria.

However, food, like many things, are subjective, and unless you have insider/Japanese contacts or loiter among food blogs long enough, chances are you won't come across these on Google Maps (for my case, they just don't show up).


HM #1 パリ21区 // Paris 21 e


Dish featured: Lunch Special - Tomato Omurice with chicken chop, salad, fries and tomato soup
Price: ¥ 980

This restaurant holds a special place in my heart as it was the 1st establishment I have dined in during my 1st trip down town (and my first omurice!). Unfortunately, they no longer served this lunch special* so I could not include it in my Top 5. Also, in my giddy excitement I neglected to take a photo, but thankfully I'll never forget to take a Snapchat...

Regardless, for meat, especially beef lovers, they offer top-notch quality slices, and I recommend:

*Many Kyoto food establishments offer attractive lunch menu (ランチメニュー) with great price slash that usually includes a little of everything on their menu. If possible, do take advantage of the lunch hour to get the most value for money experience.








Opening hours: 11:30 - 23:00
Close: no off days
More menu: https://r.gnavi.co.jp/k002705/lunch/



HN #2 本日のおすすめ 四条烏丸店 // Honjitsu no Osusume Shijō Karasuma Ten



Dish featured: Hamburg Omurice (自家製ハンバーグオムライス)
Price: ¥ 800

Touted as the lesser known speciality omurice store (穴場), this place, despite its profitable location along the busy streets of Kyoto's town, didn't enter my omu-radar till the last month of my stay. That's partly because it's main business is as an izakaya (居酒屋) or gastropub, but for the short hour between 11-4pm everyday, they would turn into an Omurice Speciality Restaurant. In fact I had a hard time taking this place seriously, since its name is literally, "Today's Recommendation." I'll forever remember me searching the page desperately for "today's [omurice place] recommendation" on a certain food blog, only to realise that was its name...

What's cool about this place is it's highly customisable, in terms of the type of rice バター (butter) or ケチャップ (ketchup) and combination of sauces (up to 3!) scooped over the omurice.


Inside the omelette (chicken chucks and onions)


My good friend Pei Pei's 3 sauce omurice: Cream, Tomato, and Demi-glace


The waterfall entrance gives a hotel lobby feel




Opening hours: 11:00 - 16:00 (Omurice) 17:00 - 00:00 (izakaya)
Close: no off days


With that, my ambition of doing a Kyoto amorous feature is fulfilled! Can't wait to go back and try these places again~

xoxo



0 comments:

Post a Comment