Manga X Photography #1 - Kusanagi Motoko

, , No Comments

If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. 
こんばんわ。

What's so special about this figure is that my ownership of her didn't come about the conventional way. That is, I first saw the figure, went to marathon the 2 seasons of Ghost in the Shell S.A.C., then ordered her.

It was love at first sight.

I made it a point to get only characters that I know, so watching the anime is a vital process.

Ghost in the Shell is a masterpiece, and I have been living in a shell.

A quick background about this "dollie" beauty:

Series: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (S.A.C.)
Manufacturer: Union Creative
Product Line: Hdge Technical Statue
Scale: 1/7
Material: PVC
Sculptor: Yuu Ishii
Release Date: Sept. 2015

I came across the moniker "dollie" while surfing through My Figure Collection's community discussion, and found it amusing. The thing about someone's impression is that once it was planted into your head, it is hard to see it as anything but that. Though the term is not without justifications, as you'll see later. It's her eyes.

{And they didn't get the colour right.}

Well, I've decided to try something different for Major's photoshoot, partly to sharpen my photography sense but mostly it was an attempt to differentiate myself from, well, the world. Let me present to everyone, the hottest and most kick-ass android, Motoko.


My favourite feature is definitely the optical camouflage gradually spreading downwards from her knee, as she seemingly blend as one with the surroundings.

P.S.: I had to flip this photograph to make the frame work, with regards to the unfolding of the skyscrapers. Doing everything backwards is my style (no, I'm not proud of it TT).


An introduction frame, kinda


Trying to create a serious vibe here, you know with the gazing into the distance thing


A new chapter sort of page


This is how Motoko looks like as a whole, with the tourist background as a bonus. Rather unfortunately it came with the dreaded black triangular base that collectors have come to associate with Union Creative's figure. Something like their trademark.

Wished they have picked a better trademark.

While I have learnt a great deal from this shoot, one thing was clear - I knew nuts about manga. As an avid manga reader from age 13, I am deeply ashamed. Despite reading and owning so much manga, never have I once stopped to ponder about the frame's compositions, the characters' varying perspectives, and how these technicalities played a part to propel the story in the desired direction. 

This frame business is tough as nuts.

In the spirit of working backwards, I had to stare hard at everything I took and then decide on the suitable frames to make it tell a story. The process is so screwed up that I nearly gave up on multiple instances. I didn't take enough variations of perspectives and I didn't plan beforehand, so the editing was really impromptu and purely based on my ability to push the limits.

I'll have to sit down and plan real hard for my next shoot.

Speaking of the next figure, for those who have been following my entries, this is unfortunately not D-figure that I have been waiting for since December 2014. He has been awfully delayed and god knows when he'll arrive... Why, why is this happening to me?

I guess this agony and anticipation will only make the day when he arrives sweeter.

It's the last day of November, let's make the next month even more fabulous and create lasting memories worth reminiscing over.


Good things always starts from your mindset, believe it.

xoxo










0 comments:

Post a Comment